Thursday, November 16, 2017

BOOK REVIEW: Quiet Girl in a Noisy World by Debbie Tung

Quiet Girl in a Noisy World by Debbie Tung
Expected Publication: November 7th, 2017
Publisher: Andrews McMeel Publishing
Genres: Graphic Novel, Nonfiction
Pages: 184
Format: Kindle Edition
Rating: 5*
Synopsis:
Sweet, funny, and quietly poignant, Debbie Tung’s comics reveal the ups and downs of coming of age as an introvert.

This illustrated gift book of short comics illuminates author Debbie Tung's experience as an introvert in an extrovert’s world. Presented in a loose narrative style that can be read front to back or dipped into at one’s leisure, the book spans three years of Debbie's life, from the end of college to the present day. In these early years of adulthood, Debbie slowly but finally discovers there is a name for her lifelong need to be alone: she’s an introvert.

The first half of the book traces Debbie’s final year in college: socializing with peers, dating, falling in love (with an extrovert!), moving in, getting married, meeting new people, and simply trying to fit in. The second half looks at her life after graduation: finding a job, learning to live with her new husband, trying to understand social obligations when it comes to the in-laws, and navigating office life. Ultimately, Quiet Girl sends a positive, pro-introvert message: our heroine learns to embrace her introversion and finds ways to thrive in the world while fulfilling her need for quiet.

REVIEW:

This book shows us the world of Debbie Tung through several small comic illustrations. Debbie shows us several things that make her uncomfortable or social awkward moments she has gone through. Most of these moments we can quite relate, and by we I mean us introvert people.


I found myself nodding and saying heck yeah several times during this book as if I was talking to someone (my mom thought I was going crazy).

I don't consider myself completely introvert. I like having my own space and being left a alone most of the times but I love to socialize (no crazy parties and such) and talk for hours but one day I'm a mood for that but like in the next five minutes I just want to be cuddled up in my bed with a book a cup of hot cocoa. 



I loved going through every single drawing in this book because there's a mixture of the things that make Debbie feeling awkward or even unhappy but there's also drawings that show us what she loves to do and the things that make her the most happy.


There's always the ups and the downs and we must live through both but we should always grab the happy memories and no the other way around.

What made me feel so connected with this book was the fact that she was such a book nerd as I am and I could completely relate to her in that topic. As well as when she says that she has nothing scheduled to do and that makes her happy, I am sooooo like that as well. I like having nothing to and just lay around in bed enjoying being lazy.

I think you should all pick up this book because it's an easy read since it's a graphic novel, you can enjoy Debbie's artwork and a part of her life is here. You'll feel like somehow your own life is portrayed here and that will make you reading time more enjoyable.

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment